Monday, January 15, 2007

Mr. Busy

He’s pretty busy

I have been trying to communicate with a gentleman across the United States in Charlotte NC. He emails me, I respond with a question-----I never hear from him again. This has happened more than once.

I’ve announced this failed link in several meetings and I usually get the same excuse, it’s because “he’s really busy”.

Nothing infuriates me more than a cover up by enabling. We all operate with the same 24 hour time constraint.

I usually counter I TOO AM BUSY, BUT I’D BE LESS BUSY IF PEOPLE RESPONDED TO MY EMAILS. I don’t say it in capital letters, but I don’t accept the ‘really busy’ excuse.

One day, someone volunteered this same gentleman has an administrative assistant who is not the most organized.

I heard two words in this statement that made my hair stand on end----adminstrative assistant! Mr.Busy has more help than I do, yet still hides behind the ‘really busy’ excuse.

Today, I heard that he’s really busy and gets “lots of emails”. Stop! Communication is not a one-way street. Maybe I’ll hear he’s really busy, gets tons of emails, works full-time in a soup kitchen, volunteers for work at the UN, is a stay-at-home dad with eleven foster kids AND president of the local PTA. I doubt it.

Pretty soon, I’m going to add him to my junk email filter.
The next time you claim you are really busy---try to remember your audience all have jobs, lives, careers, commitments, meetings, correspondence and emails too. Yet somehow we manage to drift through the same 24-hours as the ‘Mr. Busy’ of the world—some of us without an Administrative Assistant! So Mr. Busy in Charlotte NC, when you read this I hope my message gets through---I’d send you another email reminder, but you are ‘really busy’.

No comments: